FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Jazz Camp 2017 is our 16th year.
- Jazz Camp is for all ages and levels. Instrumentalists must be able to
play 5 scales well (C, F,Bb, G, and D). Vocalists must be able to match
pitch and have several tunes from the jazz standards repertoire prepared
(with the accompanying lead sheet) when camp begins. If you can't meet
these requirements, call Bill Douglass to discuss how you might fit in to camp. Workshops and lessons with one of the faculty can help you prepare.
- Ongoing Jazz Workshops with Bill Douglass, Kit Bailey, John Girton and Nora Nausbaum are available throughout the year.
- Jazz Camp participants range in age from 10 to over 80 years old.
- Last year’s public concert for Jazz Camp students and faculty took place at River Highlands Ranch.
This year, the student/faculty concert will be on July 23 at 1:30 at River Highlands Ranch in Smartsville, about 20 minutes from Grass Valley. It's a gorgeous location and we'll be indoors. Campers will receive 2 complimentary tickets to the concert for family and friends. Public admission fee is $5.
- The Sierra Jazz Society has the great support of:
- Nevada Union band director Ken Carter
- Marian McPartland, jazz pianist
- Ted Nash, saxes with Wynton Marsalis
- Paul McCandless, virtuoso reed player in Oregon
- Susan Muscarella, Director of Jazzschool in Berkeley, CA
- A broad range of participants in Northern California
- Click here to see an article written in The Union
about Jazz Camp.
- Click here to see article written in Placer
County's "Perspectives" magazine.